Cataracts progress so gradually that many people don’t notice any symptoms until the change in their vision becomes quite pronounced. Cataracts may start to develop between the ages of 40 and 50. As the cataract slowly grows, its symptoms become more noticeable, and may include:
Select any of the symptoms below to see how cataracts could be affecting your vision.
Cloudy or blurry vision
Trouble seeing at night
“Halos” around bright lights
Sensitivity to bright light & glare
Need for brighter lights for close-up activities
Double vision in one eye
A fading or yellowing of colors
Diagnosis of Cataracts
The need to frequently adjust your eyeglass or contact lens prescription can also be a sign of advancing cataracts. If you notice any of these symptoms, an ophthalmologist can perform one (or more) of the following diagnostic tests:
- A visual acuity test uses a chart to determine how well you can see a series of letters from a distance.
- A slit-lamp examination allows an ophthalmologist to observe the structures at the front of the eye (cornea, lens, iris)
- retinal exam is used to examine the back of the eye (the retina) with a slit-lamp or ophthalmoscope after the eye is dilated with drops.
The trusted doctors at ICON Eyecare are trained to diagnose and treat your cataracts quickly and efficiently.
Mitigating Likelihood of Cataracts
Although cataracts cannot be prevented, patients can take steps to slow their progression and mitigate their effects. These measures include:
- Quitting smoking.
- Eating a diet rich in nutrients that boost eye health, such as leafy greens, orange-colored vegetables, fruits like cherries and strawberries, and fish like salmon.
- Properly managing other conditions, such as diabetes, that can exacerbate cataracts.
- Wearing sunglasses that filter out harmful UV rays.
- Regularly seeing an eye doctor to facilitate the early detection of cataracts.
Despite these precautionary steps, sometimes the symptoms of cataracts can still “sneak up” on you. Hear real cataract patients talk about their experiences in the video below:
Does this sound like you? Take our quick assessment to determine if you might be experiencing cataract symptoms.
60 Second Cataract Screener
Take our Cataract Self-Test to find out if cataract surgery will help you get back to seeing – and living your life.
Schedule An Appointment
Don’t wait for cataracts to get in the way of your favorite activities. Let us help you see the world through better eyes.
Schedule Your VIP Consultation.
For fastest service during the hours of 8 am – 5 pm Monday – Friday, call us at 720-307-4794. Otherwise, fill out the form below to schedule your VIP consultation.