What Is Co-Management?
At ICON Eyecare, we partner with other healthcare providers to ensure our mutual patients receive best-in-class service both preoperatively and postoperatively. These partnerships are forged through a common practice known as co-management.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery define co-management as the sharing of preoperative and postoperative responsibilities between the operating surgeon and another healthcare provider. It is a common practice in many medical specialties, and is recognized by Medicare and private insurance carriers.
What Are the Benefits of Co-Management?
In consultation with our partner practices, we will design a comprehensive co-management plan that will guide each patient not only from preoperative counseling to surgery, but all the way through postoperative recovery. By creating this plan cooperatively, we and our partners guarantee patients will have excellent treatment experiences and achieve optimal results.
Generally speaking, benefits for the co-managing doctor include:
- Expanding the scope of their practice.
- Growing their business.
- Learning about new advances through continuing education courses.
What Are the Responsibilities of the Co-Managing Doctor?
Healthcare providers interested in co-managing patients with ICON Eyecare should be prepared to take responsibility for the following tasks:
- Select and refer the most appropriate candidates for cataract or refractive surgery.
- Inform, educate, and counsel patients about what to expect from their surgery.
- Perform manifest and cycloplegic refractions prior to a procedure as appropriate.
- Consult with an ICON Eyecare surgeon about a patient’s preoperative use of a trial lens or contact lens when monovision is being considered.
- Monitor patients postoperatively at appropriate intervals and communicate their progress or concerns to their ICON Eyecare surgeon in a timely manner.
- Follow up with patients regarding their postoperative vision needs, refractive corrections, and future eye health evaluations.
What Are the Responsibilities of ICON Eyecare Specialists?
When we partner with a healthcare provider to co-manage a patient’s care, we will take responsibility for the following tasks:
- Provide recommendations and information on cataract and refractive procedures to qualified candidates.
- Transfer patients back to their referring doctors for ongoing care either when they are stable after an operation or upon completion of care if their postoperative services are performed at ICON Eyecare.
- Schedule postoperative appointments with co-managing physicians.
- Maintain routine communication regarding patients’ care.
In any partnership, effective communication is the key to success. If you’re interested in partnering with ICON Eyecare, please contact us for additional information about the protocols and guidelines for effectively co-managing surgical patients.
Our Team will be able to discuss the revenue potential associated with co-managing your patients with ICON Eyecare. They will be happy to review fee structures with you and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to partnering with you to deliver outstanding care to your patients.
Schedule Your VIP Consultation.
For fastest service during the hours of 8 am – 5 pm Monday – Friday, call us at 720-307-4794. Otherwise, fill out the form below to schedule your VIP consultation.