Blindness Awareness Month: Most Common Eye Issues by Age
At every stage of life, there are important reasons to check the health of our eyes especially as October is Blindness Awareness Month. That’s one reason our eye doctors in the Front Range at ICON Eyecare want to see you for annual eye exams. Our team can help catch any developing eye issues and respond quickly to eye conditions throughout your lifetime. We also offer the most skilled cataract and LASIK surgery in the Denver metro area. Here are common eye issues for the ages and stages of life, in honor of Vision Awareness Month.
First Two Years
In the first years of life, undiagnosed vision problems can lead to developmental delays. Look for:
- Muscle control issues such as strabismus or amblyopia
- Reddening or encrusted eyelids
- Tear duct issues
- Extreme sensitivity to light
Preschool 2 to 5
Watch for behaviors that compensate for vision problems such as:
- Holding objects too close
- Covering an eye
- Favoring one eye
- Difficulty with hand-eye-body coordination
School Age 6 to 18
Adjustment for eye conditions may continue into the school years and include:
- Seeing double
- Having trouble coordinating eyes
- Avoiding hand-eye-body coordination activities
Look for related behaviors:
- Eye discomfort, fatigue, or short attention span
- Frustration while reading
- Trouble remembering reading material
Early Adulthood 19 to 40
Your most active years can be hazardous for your eyes:
- Eye injuries, especially around machinery, using chemicals, or playing sports
- UV ray damage outdoors
Our eye doctors in the Front Range also monitor for early onset hereditary conditions, including:
- Early onset glaucoma
- Blood pressure or diabetes related eye problems
Healthy habits at this age help avoid later eye problems, too.
Middle Age 41 to 60
Many eye conditions, especially hereditary ones, tend to start appearing during these years:
- Diabetic and high blood pressure complications
- Glaucoma and macular degeneration
- Presbyopia, age-related nearsightedness
- Needing more light to see well
Note: Loss of side vision or seeing distorted, wavy images are two signs to see an eye doctor promptly.
Seniors Over 60
Senior eye conditions we manage include:
Our eye doctors in Denver have treatments for many conditions, and ways to adjust to vision changes. See our eye doctors in the Front Range regularly for help preserving your vision.
See Your Eye Doctor Regularly, and Watch for Signs of Eye Concerns at Any Age
If you experience pain in your eye, double vision, a scratching sensation on the eye surface or impaired, limited vision, it’s important to get prompt eye care. See this more extensive list of concerns as well. Our eye doctors provide routine eye exams that help identify problems early, to keep your vision in top shape. We also provide cataract and LASIK surgery in the Denver metro area so you can enjoy an active Rocky Mountain lifestyle without glasses or contacts. Contact ICON Eyecare today for an appointment and a lifetime of vision care.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Please fill out the form below to request your General Eye Care Exam, Cataract Evaluation, Free LASIK Consultation, or other eye care appointment. A Patient Care Representative will be in touch within 24 business hours to confirm your appointment.