Meet Dr. David Litoff, Chief Medical Officer at ICON Eyecare
Meet Dr. David Litoff, Chief Medical Officer at ICON Eyecare, who specializes in corneal conditions, cataract surgery and refractive surgery. Dr. Litoff has been with ICON for four years. He attended medical school at the University of Connecticut and performed his residency at the Albany Medical Center in New York and his fellowship at the University of Iowa.
1. What inspired you to become a surgeon?
I was originally Interested in medical research and was accepted into medical school. I soon discovered that I was not as interested in research and liked dealing with patients. I have always enjoyed using my hands (carpentry, model building and fly tying) and surgery was interesting, especially ophthalmic microsurgery.
2. How many cataract surgeries have you performed?
I’ve performed about 12,000 cataract surgeries through my surgical career.
3. What is one of your favorite procedures to perform?
I really enjoy performing corneal transplants.
4. Can you tell us about a memorable patient experience that you had?
I’ve had many, many memorable patient experiences throughout my career. One of the more memorable ones involved a patient who is an artist that I performed a corneal transplant on, and his appreciation is something I will always remember.
5. What is your favorite part about working for ICON?
I feel very fortunate to work with such a great, talented team at ICON and feel supported by all my colleagues.
6. What do you think is the coolest piece of technology that you use at ICON?
We often get new technology and in ophthalmology the increased pace of development and advances in technology is amazing. I think the Wavelight suite for refractive surgery is simply an amazing piece of technology.
7. What do you like to do on the weekends when you’re not working?
I enjoy running, biking, hiking, beekeeping, and spending time with my family in Colorado.
8. What is something you think everyone should know about eye health?
Your eyes are very important; if you notice a problem get them checked soon!